Tucked into the north-east corner of Spain, Catalunya is one of the most poorly understood wine regions in the country. Tangled together with a gigantic sparkling wine industry, the still wine of Catalunya is managed under 11 separate DOs. Despite a grape growing history that dates back to the Phoenicians, the real stars have nearly all began their projects in the last 25 years and these exciting, new projects are starting to reach a point of maturity.
Threatened by drought, identity issues and wine regions often dominated by a few larger players, there are few generalisations about Catalunya that stand true. Yet in every region, there are world-class winemakers, many of whom are relatively unknown in international markets. Better yet are incredible, indigenous grape varieties that give Catalunya a unique edge and place in the world.
This report seeks to highlight and celebrate those producers across a plethora of wine styles, from the foothills of the Pyrenees to the mountainous south of Terra Alta. Over 1000 wines were tasted to hone the list down to the most exciting wines in the region.
• 11 DOs covered and tasted
• Essential information for understanding the modern world of Catalan wine
• Insights from top winemakers and growers
• 600 tasting notes, including Indicative pricing and drinking windows
• A top podium of wines, including multiple prize-winners in their category
• Opinions and thoughts on the future for the region